|The Royal Guard|
One of the largest and the most commercially successful cities in the world, London is also regarded as the financial heart of the United Kingdom. The city was established in 43 AD and is actually a combining of two ancient cities: the City of Westminster and the City of London. London, capital of United Kingdom, is an exhilarating fusion of unyielding tradition and free-spirited avant-garde. With spellbinding attractions like Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge and London Eye, visiting this city is a fun-filled adventure!
Fun & Interesting Facts About London
- London is the most densely populated area in Britain and is the ninth largest city in the world.
- During the time of the Roman Invasion, London was know as Londinium. In Saxon times, it was know as Lundenwic and during the kingdom of Alfred the Great, its name was changed to Lundenburg.
- Contrary to what many people believe, Big Ben is not the name of the clock tower, but a 13-ton bell inside the clock. The tower is known as St. Stephen's Tower.
- The City of London is home to four World Heritage Sites: the Palace of Westminster, (Houses of Parliament), the Tower of London, Maritime Greenwich and Kew Botanical gardens.
- The Thames River is the longest river in England. Starting out as a trickle in a Gloucestershire meadow, flowing for more than 135 miles before reaching London.
- The London Eye or Millennium Wheel of the city is the tallest Ferris wheel in Europe.
- Wilton's Music Hall is the world's oldest surviving musical hall and was built in 1743.
- The London Underground or "Tube" was built in 1863 and is the oldest underground transit system.
- Canary Wharf Tower is the tallest building in London.
- London is one of three command centers for the world economy and is the sixth largest city economy after Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Paris.
- Buckingham Palace, the Queen's official residence built in 1702, was built on a infamous brothel.
- The Great Fire of London in 1666 create widespread devastation, causing major reconstruction work across the city.
- London is a multi-ethnic city and domiciles people speaking over 300 languages.
- Windsor Castle of London is the largest and oldest castle in the world that is still in use.
|Tower of London|
Tower Bridge is the name of a combined bascule and suspension bridge in London. It has been constructed over River Thames and is sited near the Tower of London, from which it got its name. Tower Bridge comprises of two towers, with two horizontal walkways tying it at the upper level. Completed in 1894, the bridge was believed to be one of the greatest engineering marvels of its age.